Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Merry!!

“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”

Ever wonder why your parents seemed to be a little more sleepy than usual on Christmas morning? It's because they were up until one o'clock in the morning assembling the stupid toys you begged for all year long.

Last night I broke a sweat setting up the beautiful princess castle I knew my daughter would love the minute she saw it. I was contorted into gymnastic positions that should be reserved for another, very different midnight activity. All the while I was keeping an eye on the stairs, positive I would see her standing at the top of them any moment. When the pink beauty was erected (the castle, that is) I moved on to meticulously setting up miniature animals with giant bobbling heads at a picnic inside. I never remember my butt getting stuck in the door of my old princess castle when I was a kid...

Next I had to eat about a dozen cookies that were set out for Santa. And, no I couldn't just throw them out, what would the kids in China think of me??

Stuff the stockings, setup the scooter, helmet, elbow pads, knee pads...don't forget to take a picture of the blessed room.

All said and done, I was pretty pleased with the presentation of the final product. And it was all worth it, to be woken up at four thirty in the morning, being asked if Santa came yet.

"No, not yet....go back to sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment